“Joy, do you Twitter?” When I first heard this question about 8 months ago, I didn’t know if they were talking about my sex life or maybe I’d missed the latest fitness trend that promises to help you lose 10 lbs. in 2 days! I was being interviewed via the phone and during one of the commercial breaks the interviewer asked me this question. I actually had no idea what she was talking about so I replied, “I’m looking into it.”
Later, I asked Lynne, my virtual assistant, what the heck Twitter was and her reply: “Oh, yes Joy, you should be doing that!” In the last 2 weeks, I’ve been asked by women in my Success Circles, private clients and friends about Twitter so that got me thinking: I bet there are a lot of women out there who are wondering what I was wondering about 8 months ago: “What is Twitter and why should I tweet?”
Twitter is an online social networking tool. Still don’t get it? Neither did I—until about 6 months ago. Think of it like this. It’s sort of like an online networking meeting 24 hours a day/7days a week where you can potentially meet new clients for your business.
When I finally took a look at www.Twitter.com at first I could not believe that anyone would waste time recording an answer to a really simple question: “What are you doing?” Yep, that’s right. You log on, answer this really simple question with one challenge: You can only type 140 characters.
I am by no means an expert on Twitter, however I use it now on a regular basis. And guess what? It’s working. I’ve met some amazing women on Twitter. I’ve learned new and interesting things from some of the people I’m following and it’s increasing my business just by answering this one question: “What are you doing?”
Here are four reasons why Smart Women should Twitter:
- It’s Free – Twitter is an opportunity for you to market your services and your business online to millions of people with absolutely no cost.
- Expand Your Network – I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality people I’ve met by using Twitter. High level professionals who are using this tool to move their businesses and their ideas forward. Remember, it’s like a networking meeting that’s online 24 hours a day/7days a week and you don’t have to sit in hours of traffic to get there!
- Promote your events – When you are hosting an event, you can use Twitter to promote it. I’ve been fortunate to have quite a few women become readers of my newsletter and attend my teleclasses from learning about it on Twitter.
- Find an Expert – You can post a note to Twitter for a referral. You will be surprised at the response and the quality of referrals you receive.
Would you like to Twitter? The first step is to get signed up. It’s so easy. Just go to: www.Twitter.com and sign up for an account (remember it’s Free).
Once you are signed up, be sure to follow me and let me know you are following me. You do that by going to www.Twitter.com/JoyChudacoff and click the button that says “Follow.”
Once you are following me, send me an @reply, “Hi Joy, I’m on Twitter from your Reflections newsletter.”
Here a just a couple tips:
- Make sure you sign up for Twitter using your first and last name so people can find you.
- This is an opportunity for you to mold your image. Use this free tool to let people know you are an expert in your field. Let your personality come through your message. Creating relationships is going to be the #1 marketing strategy moving forward in business. People want to do business with people they believe, like and trust.
Again, I am not a “Twitter” expert. I do use this easy, simple tool every day to grow my business and make great connections with some amazing women. I hope this has been helpful. It’s my desire to let Smart Women know about tools and solutions that work to make life passionate, purposeful and profitable. Twitter is one of those.
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
© 2009 Joy Chudacoff
WANT TO SEE MORE ARTICLES LIKE THIS ONE?
See Joy's website Smart Women Smart Solutions.
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Joy Chudacoff is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions™, a Certified Professional Coach and Motivational Speaker. To read more articles by Joy and learn more about her Success Circle workshops, teleseminars or keynote topics, please visit her website, www.SmartWomenSolutions.com or contact Joy at Joy@SmartWomenSolutions.com.