One morning last week, I was helping my 11 year-old son, Jack, get ready for a day of skiing during our family vacation. It was sunny, 55 degrees and gorgeous outside. I handed my son his face mask and he looked at me puzzled and said, “Mom, there is no way I'm going to need this today–have you looked outside?”
I replied, “Yes, I have and you always need to be prepared for a quick change in the weather when you are on the mountain.” As I prepared myself to leave for skiing that morning, I began to reflect on how being prepared for snow skiing is a lot like preparation for success as a woman entrepreneur.
When you desire a successful day of skiing, there needs to be some planning before you get on the chair lift. You need to stop and think about all of the things you will need in order to have a successful day (This is why ski clothing has so many pockets!). If you’re a woman who skis, you know that the weather can change at any given moment so you need to pack accordingly. If you choose to go skiing without thoughtful preparation, you may be in for a challenging day.
As I rode up the chair lift that morning, I thought of 5 solutions to help you have a great day of skiing and achieve success as a woman entrepreneur:
1. Be prepared for all sorts of weather – If you can imagine the top of the mountain representing your big idea or business goal, you know as you make your journey upward, there will be changes in the climate and the terrain. In your business, there will be times of quick and easy success and there will be challenges that need to be met along the way. Make sure you have packed the necessary items for success. For example, a detailed plan of action, ample support, focus, and consistency. Don't forget to pack extra energy and unlimited passion!
2. Don't stay “Green” for too long – Smart women know that you need to get uncomfortable in order to become a better skier. To facilitate improvement, you need to advance beyond the “Green” (easier trails) and move on to “Blue” (more difficult or intermediate). In reaching your business goals, if you are feeling comfortable, then most likely your goals are not big enough or you have lost some energy and passion for your vision. It's important to stretch yourself. When I challenge myself on the mountain by taking a trail that's a bit beyond my ability, it feels good when I reach the bottom and can look back and reflect on my accomplishment. Always strive to dream or have a vision that's just a little bit larger than what you think you can accomplish. You will be surprised at what can happen!
3. “Follow The Leader” – I see a lot of people struggling on the mountain who are beginning skiers. The fastest way to reach your goals whether it's skiing or realizing your entrepreneurial vision is to follow the leader. Follow someone who shows a clear mastery of where you want to go. Take a lesson or get some coaching. This one solution has helped me gain the most momentum in my own entrepreneurial journey. I like to move quickly when I’ve made a decision to take action on an idea. I always have coaches, mastermind groups, and mentors in the wings ready to help me achieve my business goals at a faster pace.
4. Rest and Re-energize – Smart Women need to take breaks often. Being an entrepreneur takes a lot of energy. When we get passionate about something, we tend to go non-stop until we make our dream happen. It's essential that you stop along the way to reflect and re-energize. It's during those times of rest and relaxation that we can ponder what might be next with real clarity and focus.
5. Celebrate – I always end a day of skiing by enjoying a steamy, hot chocolate with my family. It’s the perfect time to reflect on the day. It’s essential that you celebrate every goal or milestone you accomplish in your business along the way. When you honor progress, you set the intention to keep moving forward toward the next level of success.
It was a gorgeous day for skiing. The weather conditions were just about perfect. In the late afternoon, the sky became overcast and a chill was in the air. I was happy to have my face mask in my pocket. Jack was happy to have his too. I'll see you on your way to the top…
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
© 2012 Joy Chudacoff
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Joy Chudacoff, ICF, PCC, is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions®, a Professional Certified Coach to 1000’s of women, Motivational Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She publishes a weekly buzz generating ezine, Reflections On Life and Business for Women Entrepreneurs. If you’re ready take your life and your business to the next level, get your FREE Tips, 2 FREE Reports and FREE MP3 now at Creating The Spark.
Share Your Comments & Feedback: