I was watching the holiday classic, “The Polar Express” with my children recently and in the movie, Tom Hanks, who plays the role of conductor, said to Billy as he exited the train, “It’s not as important to know where the train is going as it is to make a decision to get on the train.” Very wise words indeed. Getting in the habit of making decisions will be one of the best decisions you can make in 2012!
When we are faced with having to choose, we struggle. It can be something as simple as what to have for dinner to a more complex decision of leaving your job to start your own business. The struggle is typically with what you are choosing to leave behind or the thing that you decide not to choose. You second guess (and sometimes third guess) whether what you are leaving behind could actually be the choice that would take you to a place of nirvana – a place where life would be perfect. This whole process keeps you stuck, trapped and unable to move forward.
Recently, I’ve struggled with a decision that had to do with a health challenge in our family. I spent an enormous amount of time thinking about which option made the most sense and would produce the best outcome. After my decision was made, I immediately felt lighter and more creative. My energy level shifted significantly to a higher vibration. I felt clear and more focused. When you weigh yourself down in decision making and stall the moving forward process, the cost is high. It can affect your health and your business.
How about you? Are you struggling with a few decisions right now?
I invite you to grab a pen and paper and write down the areas in your life and business where you are undecided. Here are some tips and solutions I use when I’m feeling stuck and need to get moving:
1. Ask yourself a question: “What’s the worst that could happen?” Will the decision you make today matter in 5 years? I find this helps me speed up the process.
2. Research – If your decision requires research on a particular topic, block out some time to surf the internet. The internet is a wealth of knowledge and you can learn a lot in a short period of time.
3. Talk to experts or trusted resources – Reach out to people who have expert knowledge on this subject. In my case, I visited 3 experts about this health challenge in our family. It’s key to speak with people who have experience in what you’re dealing with – both personally and professionally. Talk with people who you feel make good decisions in their own life and business. I invite you to avoid taking advice from people who tend to be negative or do not have specific knowledge on your subject.
4. Practice solitude – This was the solution that helped me out of indecision and into positive action. Sitting quietly and listening to your internal voice (sometimes referred to as your “gut”) will never steer you wrong. After using the tips I mentioned above, sitting quietly in meditation brought it all together for me. If you are someone who tends to let others make decisions for you, this is a skill you will need to practice as you may not trust yourself at first. I invite you to block out some time to practice solitude and get in touch with your internal voice. It is one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself and has life-long benefits.
5. Set a deadline – Pick a date on the calendar to finalize your decision. The key to setting an effective deadline is to make it challenging, yet achievable.
As you reflect on 2011 and begin your journey into 2012, invest some time in the practice of regular decision making. From deciding on where to go for dinner to taking your business to a new level of success, the rewards will be huge.
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
© 2011 Joy Chudacoff
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Joy Chudacoff, ICF, PCC, is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions®, a Professional Certified Coach to 1000’s of women, Motivational Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She publishes a weekly buzz generating ezine, Reflections On Life and Business for Women Entrepreneurs. If you’re ready take your life and your business to the next level, get your FREE Tips, 2 FREE Reports and FREE MP3 now at Creating The Spark.