Recently, both my children participated in a science fair at their elementary school. My son, Jack, did an experiment that involved an electromagnet. My daughter, Jenna, was curious about how batteries work so she chose to make a “homemade battery.” Needless to say, my husband and I were challenged on both projects! This process got me thinking about how Smart Women could benefit from using “the scientific method” in their own lives both personally and professionally.
If you have not taken action yet on your Big Idea, Dream or Goal this year, there’s still plenty of time. One of the trends I’m noticing in my work with women right now is that many are using this time to “experiment” or become “curious” about what might be possible for them. Spring has arrived! It’s a great time to do this work. The days are becoming longer and nature is alive with possibilities for the coming months. It’s the perfect environment for real growth and opportunity both in your personal and professional life.
Here are some tips and solutions that you can easily use to “experiment” with some new possibilities in your own life:
1. Decide what you’re interested in. What do you dream about? In my Women’s Success Circles, there are several women who are “exploring” new business ideas. They are doing their research and trying on the possibilities just to see how it feels. One essential is to block out some dedicated time in your calendar to spend working on your Big Idea, your dream. Block out the time, just as you would for other tasks and make it a priority.
2. Become Curious. Once you decide what you will choose as your “experiment” ask yourself a few key questions:
a) How would I feel if this became a reality in my life?
b) How would my life or business be different?
c) If I achieved this, what would become possible for me?
3. Plan your “experiment.” Grab a large pad of paper and some colorful pens. Don’t use standard 8-1/2 x 11 paper. (How big can an idea get if it’s created on small paper?) Jot down some ideas about what you can do right now to explore your Dream or Big Idea more deeply. Do you have an idea for a product or service? Who would benefit most from your service? Keep a notebook just for this experiment so you will have all of your ideas and notes together. Go online, go to your local library, take classes, join a community of like-minded women who are on the same journey.
4. Don’t Give Up. “Experiments” can sometimes be frustrating as you are trying something “new” in your life. Get some support from the positive people around you during this time. Spend time with people who champion you, who believe in you. My son Jack’s experiment with Electromagnets went well on the very first try. My daughter Jenna’s “homemade battery” experiment did not work. She tried it two different ways and spent a lot of time trying to make it work. I think we all learned a lot more from Jenna’s experiment. Jenna was quite sad when her “experiment” did not work out the way she had hoped. I shared a story with her about Einstein who had over 10,000 “experiments” with little or no success before he managed to discover his Big Ideas.
5. Create a Conclusion. What did you learn from your “experiment?” Did you find yourself full of energy and ready to take the leap towards your Big Idea, Dream or Goal? Did you learn some interesting information along the way about yourself? Did you come up with even more ideas on how you will make your dream come true?
6. Make It Happen. If you loved all of the possibilities you discovered during your “experiment,” take that leap of faith and make it happen. Find a coach, mentor or join a group of women who can support you to move your Big Idea, Dream or goal forward. One of my Women’s Success Circle members reported that it was the community of supportive women on the same journey that propelled her forward toward realizing her dream. Knowing that there are other women who gather together on a regular basis kept her working on her “experiment” and bringing it to fruition.
I invite you to use this time to explore and discover your Big Idea, Dreams and Goals. There is no better time than right now. The door to new possibilities, new ways of being and new growth is standing wide open waiting for you to enter.
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
Copyright 2009 Joy Chudacoff
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Joy Chudacoff is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions(tm), a Certified Professional Coach to 1000’s of women, Motivational Speaker, and entrepreneur. She publishes a weekly buzz generating ezine, Reflections On Life and Business for Women Entrepreneurs. If you’re ready take your life and your business to the next level, get your FREE Tips, 2 FREE Reports and FREE MP3 now at http://www.CreatingTheSpark.com.