A few days ago, I was speaking with one of my valued clients about the many benefits of getting out of the office and creating connections and relationships through networking. At one point, there was a momentary silence on the other end of the line and then she asked me if I could give her more “structure” on the best way to network effectively. This question made me stop and think: I tell my clients to do this ALL the time and yet, I rarely stop and explain WHAT to DO or HOW to do it:
Here are 6 “go to” tips and solutions that work for me every time and I think you will find them useful:
- Shhhh! – Let the other person talk first. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason! Listen for clues on HOW you can serve them or discover if your business might be a good fit for the other person. Maybe there’s a possible
- Your Turn – When it’s your turn (unless you’re dealing with a narcissist : -)) share what you do by telling stories about your clients – why they come to you, the result you provide, etc.
- Be Yourself! – There’s nothing more exhausting than trying to play the “role” of someone else.
- Dress For Success – Whether we like it or not, people make judgments about us based on how we’re dressed. This does not mean you need “designer” everything to make a good impression. It means that you need to look professional and put together as someone who they can believe, like or trust.
- The 24 Hour Rule – The 24 Hour Rule – Write a hand-written note or email within 24 hours – you aren’t there to meet everyone in the room. Your intention is to meet 5-7 people who you truly connect with and would like to do business with. Make a point to follow-up with these people right away.
- I’d Love a Referral – To get a referral, give a referral. Yes, this is how it works. People are more likely to send you referrals if they see that you are genuinely interested in helping others succeed. Business is about creating relationships.
Share Your Comments & Feedback: