At the end of each year, I take an inventory of my life and business to shine a light on what proved to be most effective for me.
Here are my top nine timely tips for women entrepreneurs who are ready to make a Big Leap in 2014:
1. Exercise Empathy – If you have a dream of making a difference in the world or desire a leadership role, empathy is a valuable tool you'll need along the way. As the great leader Stephan Covey said, “Seek first to understand.” Understanding and acknowledging someone else's situation is the foundation to change.
2. Make Decisions – Set a goal to become a quick decision maker. Remember, money likes speed so your ability to make quick decisions will serve you well in business. Do your research but at some point, call time and decide.
3. Stand for Something – Determine what beliefs or principles you stand for in your life and business and stick to them. Standing for something builds trust and nurtures belief in others. You can't work smart, have a life-in-balance and be available 24/7 for your family and clients. Decide what you won't do and stick to it. For example, “I don't take calls after 5pm.”
4. Nurture Relationships – Creating solid connections with people you care about both personally and professionally is key to making a life worth living. I count my success by the friendships I've made along the way in life. Remember to be there for others when they need you because one day, you'll need them too.
5. Practice Solitude – In our wired world, if you aren't careful, you can be “on” all the time. Technology has certainly made our lives a lot easier but it's essential that you not allow these time saving tools to control your life. Spending time alone is one of the best gifts you can give yourself. Start small by taking a long walk alone (cell phone off) or set your alarm to wake up for some quiet time before the busyness of your day takes over. I highly recommend taking an overnight trip alone to a favorite spa or hotel at least once a year.
6. Get 8 hours of sleep – This one tip will be a game-changer if you really commit to it. I go to bed nearly every night at the same time (no matter how long my to-do list is). I truly believe this is what gives me the high energy I have each day to pursue my Big Ideas, Dreams and Goals. Set a goal to head to bed in 2014 at a reasonable hour and grab the extra sleep you need for success.
7. Commit to Your Big Idea – Make a decision (there's that word again!) to accomplish your Big Idea in 2014. Grab some quiet time and create a plan to make it happen. Decide what day of the week and how many hours per day you will devote to your goal. This is truly the only way to make it a reality. Get an accountability partner or a coach to help you accelerate the plan and course-correct along the way.
8. Commit to your Feminine Energy – In my book, “The 7 Steps to Discover Your Big Idea and Create a Wildly Successful Business” I take a deep dive into this topic. Stop living your life in the shadow of someone else and let your light shine.
9. Challenge Yourself – Get out of your comfort zone. Do something that scares you. For example, ride a roller coaster if you're afraid of heights, take the stage and give a speech if you'd like to do more public speaking. If you make this a habit, you'll begin to see yourself doing things that you never dreamed possible. It's a mindset that you develop but it starts with doing that one thing that you know in your heart and mind that you need to do (and secretly want to do). Remember, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. : -)
If you implement even one of these nine game-changing tips over the next 30 days, I can guarantee you positive change will begin to show up in your life. 2014 is going to be a year of BIG opportunity for those women who are armed and ready to accept the challenge. I'm ready. Are you?
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
© 2013 Joy Chudacoff
WANT TO USE THIS ARTICLE IN YOUR E-ZINE OR WEB SITE? You can, as long as you include this complete blurb with it: Joy Chudacoff, ICF, PCC, is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions®, a Professional Certified Coach to 1000’s of women, Motivational Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She publishes a weekly buzz generating ezine, Reflections On Life and Business for Women Entrepreneurs. If you’re ready take your coaching business to the next level, get your FREE Tips, FREE Report, FREE MP3 and be the first to hear about my exciting new program for coaches and consultants at Smart Women Smart Solutions Coaching.