Is there anybody that hasn’t visited a Build-A-Bear Workshop? I know it has saved me several times when I had an afternoon and nothing to do with the kids.
We can thank my guest today Maxine Clark, the Founder and former CEO of Build-A-Bear, for making her incredible vision a reality for us to enjoy!
Today, Maxine talks about how it all started in a Galleria in St. Louis, Missouri in 1997. She shares her experience getting funding, important things to understand about customers and retail, and her amazing current projects to give back.
Maxine stepped down from Build-A-Bear Workshop in 2013 in order to dedicate herself to her social projects, including enhancing education and providing entrepreneurship training for minority women.
Her insights and positivity are incredible.
If your team can’t see your canvas, they can’t paint on it.” – Maxine Clark
You can Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts. And be sure to leave me a Rating and Review!
You are in control of your destiny. You can make your world what you want it to be.” – Maxine Clark
- The afternoon shopping experience with a 10-year-old that changed Maxine’s life forever
- Maxine’s perspective on the most important element of retail
- Why you should pay attention to your customers’ habits
- What was the bad news that Build-A-Bear received just two weeks after opening, and how Maxine turned that around
- How to spot consumer trends
- The ONE THING Maxine relies on to make sure that she has enough cash flow
- And much, much more!
You know when I think when you open yourself up to listening to customers (and maybe they have an anxiety about something that happened in the business, but most of the time they just want to share something with you), listen and learn from it and it makes your job a lot easier.” – Maxine Clark
Connect with Maxine Clark:
I would almost call ‘being a woman’ my superpower.” – Maxine Clark